Subject: Re: So Long Met - Hello World: Post Met Careers
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 23:12:58 -0700

Perhaps I can offer some insight as to why Milanov did not continue singing
recitals after her retirement from the Met.  If anyone has heard her
recital of songs issued by RCA in 1954, you can see that she was a good
singer of songs and actually sang beautifully in German and in English.
Throughout her career, from the beginning, Milanov's mentor, musical
collaborator and accompanist was her brother Bozidar, a pianist and
composer of some distinction.  She gave many recitals through the 40's and
50's, always with Bozidar at the piano.  German was her second language so
Schubert, Schumann and Strauss came easily to her linguistically and
musically.  Bozidar Kunc died suddenly in I think 1963 and she took his
death very hard.  After her retirement, I just don't think she had the
desire to work with anyone else.  She had a comfort level with him that was
not transferable.  I think the answer is as simple as that.  She could have
but the desire was no longer there.  And the voice remained into old age.
Without the necessity of singing stage performances, she kept her voice in
shape.  There are some snippets floating around of her teaching showing
that the voice is clearly intact.  I heard one years ago.

Many singers develop particularly close relationships with their
accompanists and these artistic relationships don't alway survive with the
loss of one.  The relationship of the singer, or instrumentalist to their
musical partners is an intensely personal one for some.  As for Victoria De
Los Angeles, I saw her many, many times in recital.  Particularly wonderful
were her occasional collaborations with Alicia De Larrocha.  She could
still charm well into her sixties but the truth is, her husband squandered
the money she earned and she had a handicapped child she had to support.
She sang so long out of necessity - she needed the money.

Donald