Subject: Aging artists
From: Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:43:25 -0500

Unbelievable, the story of Behrens’ recital - stamina on the part of both artist and audience!
  I am one who believes artistry matters more than high notes; One of my first operas (after an operatic childhood) was Traviata with Albanese.  By then she flatted all the high notes, but set a high artistic standard for all the Violettas I’ve seen since.
Funny anecdote about Robert Merrill: before Palm Beach had a proper theatre, mikes were necessary.  He sang the toreador, and everyone was convinced he had bribed the technicians to amp the volume.  His voice was that huge, that brilliant.  But he would never have survived the “me, too” movement.