Subject: Re: Age appropriate operas
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 23:23:41 +0000

Just to clarify, I am not for a second saying that I have read news stories of things that children have done as a result of seeing the Met's current Hänsel und Gretel.  I just find that the witch's cavalier "Uh, can somebody let me out?" response to being pushed into the oven in that production before magically and (presumably) painlessly being turned into gingerbread is something from which children could take away the wrong message.  God only knows the fairy tale (along with many others) is violent enough in itself, as if there were not already enough violence on movies and television.  I think the Met could have given that part of the production a little more thought; the controversial rape scene in the CG Guillaume Tell has been toned down in other performances of that production, after all, so it's not as though some afterthoughts could not have been applied here as well.  I want to say on the record that I thought that the Met's prior Hänsel und Gretel, especially as televised with Rosalind Elias' delightful green-tongued witch, was wonderful, and Mme. Elias definitely did not go gently into that oven, and at least the oven did not have an open window through which one could see her after she had been pushed in.
Mike Leone