Subject: Re: Age appropriate operas
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 15:16:18 -0500

I've been playing opera and other classical music to my daughter almost
since she was born (whereas her other dad plays everything from Billie
Holliday to the newest popular music to her). When she was around four, I
started playing LPs (yes, she will be among the few of that age group who
actually knows what an LP is) of Hansel and Gretel and showed her the
cover - it is the Donath-Moffo version which have a very fairytale like
cover. She always wanted to her the witch - and when I put on other
opera, she would ask for the witch....

Around her five years birthday (last October), I bought the dvd of the Solti
conducted film, the one that starts in the opera house and then becomes a
real film, with Gruberova, Fassbänder, Prey, Dernesch and Jurinac. She has
seen it twice - of course, being Dutch/Danish in an English speaking
household, she does not understand the German, but I then tell her what
they sing about. I do find it quite good of her that at the age of five, she
can already sit through an opera, albeig on television. We also took her to
a kids opera, a very simple thing with two instrumentalists and one
soprano lasting 45 minutes, she also managed to sit still and enjoy that.
And this Thursday she will have her first piano lesson, a try-out as the
teacher thinks she is too young. She says that even if she doesn't like the
lessons, she still wants to continue, because she really wants to learn to
play the piano....

Cheers

Ulrik