Subject: Re: KATHLEEN BATTLE AT KENNEDY CENTER (Something not expected ...)
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:10:04 -0700

She was a gorgeous singer.  When I first heard her, I thought this was the
new Bidu Sayao, a leggiero with a beautiful tone, very well schooled
technically and musically sound.  When I first heard her in the house there
was this exquisite if very small sound that nonetheless was totally
enchanting.  The problem was that the voice remained an ina and ana
eventually you grow out of the rep and become too old for the roles, no
matter how well you continue to sing.  Her Handel was brilliant as was her
Purcell, Mozart, and what ever else she sang within her facht.  Her career
was undone by her insecurities and lack of collegiality.  But, I'm happy to
hear that she evidently is doing so well in these concerts she is traveling
with.  More power to her.

Donald