Subject: Re: THE OPERA HOUSE
From: John Irving <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:54:53 -0600

It is true that Milanov had nothing  to complain about because in post retirement she was on the voice faculty of at least 2 major universities; provided tutelage for several major sopranos who were having vocal difficulties; had several private students and returned each summer to her native country doing seminars, etc.  Moreover, she gave a final concert in the year of retirement.  I agree it was time for her to leave the stage, though I am certain, her rejection in not being asked for the premier season of the new house, was quite humiliating for such an exalted personality.  Furthermore, she has had the unique distinction of not being forgotten; her name continually comes up in this venue as well as many others.  Who could forget the name, “Zinka?”  Really!

       JAI

Sent from my iPad