Subject: Age appropriate operas
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:25:26 -0500

I guess it would depend on the stagings of the operas in question. I would never take a kid to see Mefistofile, but I have seen the orgy staged so tamely that I had thought the scene would have been better if it had not occurred.

I am sure there were tamer performances of Pagliacci. I would say you have to vet the production. Hey, the current production of Figaro at the Met is so gloomy that it is a disservice to the music and the cast. I would not make it an introduction to opera for anyone. It’s no fun at all.

Hoffman can be pretty scary but it has supernatural stuff and kids like that . Also great tunes.

I agree with Les: the Stratas/Domingo version of Pagliacci is not. A good idea, though notice his class loved it! Blood and guts!

RP

Sent from my iPhone