Subject: Fwd: Met Tosca in HD/Radio (Zinka - Klara Kluck)
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:57:23 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio (Zinka - Klara Kluck)
To: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Bob,

Admittedly, I enjoy the Zinkster's comic attributes but I have, on occasion
(when forced 👿), conceded the virtues you outline. For me, they never
morphed into a satisfying whole that I could listen to as an integral
performance - moments of gold followed by reams of generalized dross. Some
might make the same comments about Joan Sutherland, but for me she always
finds a way straight to my heart.   Its not so much a matter of "fake news"
but rather one's personal - editorial tolerance for a singers mix of
virtues and flaws.

Thanks for reminding me of that '55 Ballo - classic Zinkalatura in the
conspirators chorus!  Start around 2:20 if you want to cut to the chase.
Its not only the little stuff that flummoxes her though, she can swoop and
hoot through the grander moments like a Drag Queen on Ambien.  The second
is La Mama Morta. Despite the conductor and the forward propulsion of the
music, the voice just doesn't want to move and when she comes to the end,
its like the train chug a lugging into Hooterville...

I think I'm a lost cause...

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFsdwyiLek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAm1jnN-GO8