Subject: Mechanics vs. art
From: Mark Schubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 07:51:20 -0500

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 9:33 PM, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It would be great if at some point someone like Mark Schubin could explain to us the
> mechanics of the radio/HD transmissions (meaning, how the voices are mic'd/balanced
> and what the desired result is - which I assume is NOT necessarily to make everyone
> sound as they do in the house, but most likely instead to make the voice-to-voice and
> voice-to-orchestra balance more even).

As an engineer, I would be happy to explain the "mechanics" of how the
sound gets from the stage to you, but what you ask inside the
parentheses is a matter of art, not technology.  I can tell you that,
just as a painter of art might step back to consider the look of a
work, so, too, the people in charge of the Met's sound mix made
multiple visits to a cinema auditorium to consider the sound as it
would be heard there; my job was to ensure that what they heard
matched what we would have transmitted of the same mix.  We also
visited a cinema auditorium to test various options before making
changes to our visual transmission system.

The "mechanics" of pigments, oils, canvas, and brushes, unfortunately,
do not explain the Mona Lisa.  Sorry!

TTFN,
Mark