Subject: Re: THE OPERA HOUSE
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:30:11 -0500

Donald Collup wrote:

"When it came time to plan the 65-66 season, Bing, instead of having a discussion, cut to the
chase and said “What would you like to sing for your farewell?”  Zinka later said she was
“trone off ze stage." "

Yes, she was quite bitter about it.  Bruce Burroughs wrote in Opera Quarterly many years
ago, in the issue devoted to Milanov, that once when the subject of her retirement and the
new house came up in conversation, Milanov looked angry and muttered: "Zat Bing!  You
vould zink he could giff me just vun Desdemona in ze new house."  She really wanted to sing
for just one more season.

But I think Bing was probably right in closing out her career with the Old House.  And he gave
her a great send-off, not only with her farewell performance of Andrea Chenier, but also in
closing out the Gala at the Old House with Tucker in the Chenier duet.

MDW