Subject: Re: THE OPERA HOUSE
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:25:16 -0700

As for Milanov, yes and no, almost but not quite.  Her schedule for that
year was basically two performances of Andrea Chenier.  For the penultimte
season, 1964-65, she had six performances, three as Desdemona and three as
Maria Boccanegra.  For that final season she was only given two Chenier's.
She brought up the subject and had asked Bing if she could sing her
farewell in the New House.  She wanted to bow out with a final Desdemona.
Bing, gentleman and font of sweetness that he was, refused and told her the
last Chenier or nothing.  Bing had already decided that some of the older
singers, no matter how important to the Met in previous years, would not be
making the trip uptown.  That included Albanese, Steber, Baum (who in any
case was in fact retired and only returned to sing in the final Gala).
Milanov had friends on the Met Board but she didn't push it.  Bing had
first approached her to consider retirement at early as 1960.  When Stella
got dumped and it was apparent Rysanek wasn't going to continue in the
Italian roles, I guess he decided to keep her around for another couple of
seasons.  She was pissed because she was big box office for many years and
her shows continued to sell.