Subject: Re: Age-Appropriate Opera
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 19:37:07 -0500

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 12:18:37 -0500, G. Paul Padillo
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I’m one of those of the opinion who believes the vast majority of operas
>are fine for childhood consumption.  That position changed during the Met’s
>now legendary “Lulu” telecast – the first U.S. performances of the
>completed 3 acts – with Julia Migenes going on as a last minute
>replacement for Teresa Stratas.  I was watching at the home of my aunt
>and uncle, in the basement (the rest of the family involved upstairs in
>holiday festivities) when my 9 or 10 year old cousin came down to
>ask “what the pretty music” was.  Now, there’s a phrase one wouldn’t
>typically associate with “Lulu,” but there it was.  I shared the basic plot
>information – watering it down as best I could for a child.  She watched
>most of it and seemed enthralled, more by the music than what she was
>actually “seeing.”

I'd think "Lulu" would be a great first opera for anyone, and much of the
music is absolutely gorgeous. One small correction: The first U.S.
performances of the complete three-act "Lulu" were in Santa Fe in July 1979
(in English), about six months after the Paris world premiere. The Met first
did the three-act version on Dec. 12, 1980.