Subject: Stephen Charitan
From: Jean Scarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:27:37 -0500

Stephen needs no defense.  However, I am posting to those who do not know him.  It has been my good fortune to have known him as a friend for many years.  We both live in the Cleveland area. To give you a little perspective on my age, I first attended the Met back in 1939.  (Cav and Pag, no titles and I had only been told the story) I loved the entire experience. I have known many opera enthusiasts.  Steve heads the list with his knowledge, expertise, experience, and joy for the art form.  Like all of us, he has very definite opinions about many things.  He has taught me so much about Bel Canto (I am a dedicated Wagnerite.) He and I can differ about singers' voices, favorite operas, politics and world events, but from our discussions, I learn so much.  He is  a scholar, and I believe his ability to use the English language (foreign ones at times) is without doubt a great gift. As you read his posts, I hope you realize they are coming from a truly brilliant man. If you wish to challenge him,be prepared.  You will find yourself in a very educational dialogue.  Jean