Subject: Re: Age-Appropriate Opera
From: Art McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:58:35 -0500

My parents introduced me to opera when I was 10 years old. I had shown some
surprising aptitude at the piano, so they thought I might like opera. And
they wanted me to see it at the Old Met before it closed.  They started me
off with Aida (it turned out to be Arroyo's first at the Met, which brought
extra excitement). I was hooked. During the last two seasons, by the age of
12, I saw Turandot, Tosca, Forza, Salome (I suspect my parents didn't really
know the opera; Nilsson was singing, so it had to be okay, right?), Faust
(the last opening night, no less) and Boheme.  The story lines presented no
problem for this young kid. To this day I retain a tinge of childhood
fantasy when I see Turandot.  Unfortunately, his young ears were trained to
expect the likes of Nilsson, Corelli, Tebaldi, Gedda, Siepi, Merrill, etc.,
at every performance. Even if those voices aren't around, I say introduce
young kids to opera, the more "action-packed" the plot the better.

-- Art