Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:57:00 -0500

I have always had my own enthusiasms; I can't recall ever being influenced
one way or another, about what to attend.  Opinions ought to be taken as
entertainment in themselves; does it really matter whether you agree or not?

With advancing age, things are a little different: if most of the opinions
about
a given event are negative, I'm relieved that I'm not missing anything,
 What
I love are detailed enthusiastic accounts like those of Alan Savada or Paul
Padillo, both of whom seem to see everything,  which provide ample vicarious
exposure to performances I'd never get to.

As for the modest diatribe from Tom Frey, I didn't take it as a personal
attack on anyone; he felt so strongly positive about the TOSCA HD that
he couldn't tolerate the less enthusiastic comments from others.  Outbursts
like that are to be expected among "fans", as is the less than elegant prose
they employ.

dtmk