Subject: Admonishing Fellow Listers
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:26:26 -0500

This is an unusual post for me in that I generally only write about
opera/music/theatre on this list.  While I am all for expressing oneís
opinions and arguments putting forth why they like or donít like something,
Iím not one who enjoys seeing arguments and admonishments that feel to me
me like public put downs, or an attempt to shame another list member.

While there are any number of us who will see something completely
different, experience something completely different, want things that are
(wait for it . . . ) completely different, I donít think itís useful or helpful to pu
publicly tell someone their opinion is full of excrement, or to silence so
someone.

Weíre frequently told ďDonít like it?  Donít read it,Ē a prospect that is never
as simple as it sounds, as posts we find offensive or nonproductive, are
rarely identified as such, and more frequently to be found wrapped in
threads we find of interest.  Once the message has been opened, itís kind
of too late, iníit?

When Iíve had what Iíve felt is a legitimate beef, or disagreement that
doesnít really have anything to do with opera, I have generally subscribed
to the practice of sending a private email rather than starting an open
online attack which puts none of us in our best light.  I have also learned
itís the biggest way we keep so many ďlurkers,Ē from participating openly
on this list who have much to contribute but donít want to be humiliated or at
attacked publicly.

While the list tends to be (understandably) Metcentric, we do have
members from ďawayĒ from NYC whose opinions and experiences many of us
us would love to hear about.  There are so many streaming services that pr
provide opera for little to no cost, including MediciTV, Amazon Prime, and, mo
most notably as mentioned yesterday by Mr. Ricchi, Opera Dimension.

While for some, opera may not be up to the standards of yesteryear, there
is still much to enjoy, to experience and share with each other.   While I'll
likely be told ďshut the hell up,Ē I felt like offering my 2 cents, and shall try and
and make this will be my last post of this sort.

Viva la Opera!

p.