Subject: Dazzling, Delightful Die Schneekonigin
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jan 2018 23:19:58 -0500

I spent an absolutely delightful 96 or so minutes watching the world premiere of Marius
Felix Lange new opera, "Die Schneekönigin" - "The Snow Queen" from the Deutsche Oper
Ahm Rhein - fairly faithful in recreating Hans Christian Andersen's classic fairy tale.

The the central protagonists are still a boy and a girl, Lange wisely wrote the roles for adult
singers, Kai (or Kay) actually a baritone.  The professional young adult singers jump into
their roles and in short order I felt they really were children.  A bold stroke that pays off
handsomely, particularly in light of some of the absolutely gorgeous music they get to sing.

It's a large cast populated with fantastic elements of a fairy tale - the devil, grandma, evil
trolls, clumsy trolls, a reindeer . . . you get the idea.

I found the score to be enthralling from start to finish, though those how hate "modern"
music may not cotton to portions of it.  At its best it recalls (to these ears anyway) Janacek
which I feel is a very good thing, AND, keeping in mind the recent conversations here about
Wagner's influence, I defy anyone to say the finale doesn't remind them of Rheingold's
"Entrance of the gods into Valhalla."  I double dog dare ya!

While I'm generally not a fan of premature applause, I couldn't help but let out a cheer,
along with the audience during the last 30-40 seconds - the audience squealing in delight
long before the curtain fall

So, instead of some of the bickering going on here, I highly recommend ye get thyselves to:

https://operavision.eu/en/library/performances/young-audiences/die-schneekonigin

and experience the joy for yourselves!

p.