Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 00:07:59 -0400

I think the straightforward passion of the characters, the music and the
realistic sets complemented each other beautifully. Jejune? Tosca is the
quintessential "pasta with garlic" opera. I'll take my rigatoni arrabiata
with lots of meat, basil and chili peppers. No-gluten noodles and
cabbage-based sauce are just not the appropriate thing here. Anyway, to me
the sets are just as wonderfully evocative of the time and the place as
Zeffirelli's, with maybe a more "dramatic" angle for Act III (raked, as
opposed to parallel), but this may depend on the **live** audience's point
of view.