Subject: Re: And now, for a touch of sheer idiocy
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jan 2018 23:31:52 -0400

It's just a tech circus act which is gaining in popularity. Could be fun,
but not as much as some of the comments in the report:

"In Maria Callase's [sic] days, the orchestra and the singer were recorded
all at once, in one pass."

"-You can have them singing songs they never sang before.
-Someday, not only could you have Tupac singing... opera, but you could
have Maria Callas singing hip-hop."

"Concerts really, these days exist -I would argue- not so much for the
music, but more just... the singing."

I find David Pogue's amazement at electronically separating the voice from
the orchestra rather "scripted". Anyone as tech-savvy as he knows this has
been done since the analog days.
I really don't want to see a 3D recreation of Callas or Bjoerling in that
Chicago Trovatore whose film was lost, but holographic technology would
bring great special effects to the Ring, The Flying Dutchman, The Magic
Flute and many others.

But "robotizing" singers from the past? No, thanks.

Still, the holographic Callas looks -and moves- wonderfully! I don't think
she would have ever considered tossing cards at the end of the Habanera,
but it's quite a touch!