Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 03:14:44 +0000

Yes - the one that had acrobatic choreography, and the women of the chorus
lip-synched in Questa Reggie - you had to pick the real Turandot out of a
line up, and Ping Pang and Pong had night jobs in a morgue, and Liu died
from claustrophobia, and the opera ended where Puccini did, and most
everyone on stage in the last act was holding a disco ball - yup, that one.

It was a good job of fable telling, even though it often looked like an
unholy alliance of the Icexapades and the June Taylor Dancers.

It was on the engaging (not riveting) end of the spectrum.

But I have yet to see a performance of Turandot where I could believe the
love.