Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jan 2018 16:48:35 -0500

Max,

I agree with much you say.  But I would argue opera has been an aural /
visual art long before it could be appreciated as a purely sonic
experience.  Most of the composers of the core repertory never expected
their works would be experienced via records or radio, let alone in
something called "HD" but I think "HD" would have been the most satisfying
revelation to them - at least when it works...can't imagine what they would
have thought of "Regie."

What made this "Tosca" work for me, more than the Jejune Zeffereli settings
was the combination of the voices, and actually seeing  the dramatically
vibrant commitment of the singers play out the emotions on their faces -
watching as well as hearing them live  these iconic roles.  This "Tosca"
was, at least in HD, a "complete" experience.  Judging by the visuals of
the in house audience, and our little group in an Akron Cinemark - there
was a satisfying unanimity  between what was seen and heard.- just what
made Peri's "Euridice" such a hit in 1600.

Steve

ps...Bob, the Zinkster in HD would have been better suited to "Saturday