Subject: Re: Conrad L. Osborne & La Forza Del Destino
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:08:15 -0800

I remember that, David. In the parody, he referred to the new style of singing as pop-formation or something like that. Could be wrong, but my recollection of this parody is that it came about in the back and forth between CLO and John Culshaw, spurred by CLO’s rather negative review of the Decca “Elektra” in which he decried “the power of the producer.”

I was more on Culshaw’s side in that exchange, but CLO’s viewpoint is the one that ultimately sustained. The carefully produced studio recording with sound effects and perfectionist attention to distances, position and perspectives died out. From around the early 80s on, opera recordings were either made live (significantly helped by breakthroughs in microphone technology from the Japanese in the 80s) or, even when done in a studio, have tended to sound more like a recording of a concert performance.

But from several of CLO’s comments on recordings’ sound quality, I had to really wonder what kind of listening equipment he was using.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad