Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:04:40 +0000

Idia

Friends to the end and this ain't the end!

Let's take a step backward. Don said specifically that he only
heard the audio part since he was in his car at the time.

I went back and re-read his post to see if he had, in any way,
"dissed" the director or any aspect of the production. He had
not mentioned anything other than the singing, so, it seems
to me that your post and criticism conflated two issues, one
of which played no part in his discussion.

Now, you may certainly think that opera is best served as a live
experience, and it often is, but I will say, as I have many times -

Millions of Americans, and others, were, and are today, longtime
opera fans, having never experienced opera except on records
and/or on radio. They are often quite knowledgeable and they
have every right to share their observations in the context of
the limitations provided by audio alone. Recordings made many
stars who would otherwise be hardly known, and the Met Guild
made opera available to millions over the last eighty years,
millions who would likely have never known the joy of music
that has ennobled and enriched their lives, had it not been for
the airwaves.

BTW, not to enable my friend, Mr. Charitan's, favorite punching
bag, but it was often better just to hear Zinka, and leave the rest
to the imagination. ;-) She wasn't alone!

Xox

Bob