Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:08:47 -0500

Since I have been a rather severe detractor of Lucic's barking & lack of
energy in singing Verdi, I "owe" him some praise when he merits it.  I
absolutely loved his Scarpia. He portrayed the bully baron in an
exciting, hair-raising manner with no pretense of smooth, suave polish.
He was out to, well, "get his rocks off", & leave the suave wining &
dining to other interpreters.  Gobbi still remains my absolute fav,
followed by Bacquier, but Mr. Lucic's stock has jumped to "contenda".

Was it my audio system;-), or were there a few isolated moments
reminiscent of Callas in Yoncheva's sound (I mean this as praise)?  I
liked her intensity & it was interesting listening to a somewhat more
lyrical, yet still "gutsy" approach.

Unfortunately, the Met cast Cavaradossi with a tenor capable of nothing
more challenging than Fenton or Rinuccio.

DonPaolo