Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:23:14 -0500

"Lucic was a fabulous Scarpia and even he himself said that it was his favorite Scarpia he ever did.  No wonder!"

Well he certainly was the best Scarpia I have ever seen and I have seen at least a dozen  (though for the old timers that does not even count.) His acting was so perfectly balanced, his voice perfect for the role, my best time was watching and listening to him. Both Yoncheva and Grigolo were equally committed and excellent in their roles, Grigolo tends to push too hard, and those high notes seem to come at a cost, but they came.  I actually invited my brother in law who had never in his life been to see an opera, nor has any interest in it, and he was thrilled by the production, though he claims he did not hear much of the music, he was so involved in the action itself.  But one must assume that something must have stuck, right? I will send him a recording in the hope he will listen to it again.