Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:15:44 -0500

I share all of Idia's comments except that I still had some reservations
about Grigolo's theatrics that again didn't work for me in the second part
though his "E lucevan le stelle" was surely way better than at the prima.
He was very impressive in the first part but in the third act he could have
benefitted from learning that "Less is sometimes more." I was absolutely
wowed by Yoncheva, both dramatically and musically. Any reservations about
her Tosca were completely  gone. The youthfulness of both of them that Idia
mentions really worked. And then she was totally demented in the second act
with Scarpia, what a performance! I also thought that Lucic did a fine job
as Scarpia and the conducting was miles better than at the prima, only to
show that this cast & the conductor had too short time to rehearse before
the first night. They were all together and wonderful by now. I *loved* the
production. Bravi tutti. Our cinema was packed, there was not a single
empty seat.

Vesna