Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jan 2018 18:51:42 -0500

I was at the HD - one of the largest audiences at our Cinemark in Akron,
Ohio. Some digital breakup at the beginning, but transmission fine from
Sacristan through to the Jump.

If I were to characterize the performance I would call it the "Younger than
Springtime" Tosca.  I think it caught Grigolo and Yoncheva at a moment in
time for both of them when everything was in balance - Just enough bloom on
voice and face to capture youth, but tempered by sufficient
experience to give fully satisfying performances in these big, iconic
roles.  Watching Yoncheva I felt she had all the temperament of a
passionate Italian woman from her diction to her hand gestures - big and
small.  Of course "Italianisms" are Grigolo's by nature and he galvanizes
everything and everyone around him.  He created an extremely likable
character from what can often be a "stock" tenor role - even if the lines
between Vittorio and Mario were often blurred.  Perhaps that's the key to
his success?  I will admit MC might be one size too big for VG - and hope
that he doesn't make a habit of it, but would not be unhappy if he were
announced with Nebs later in the season when I see it in house.  Those two
would be spontaneous combustion.   Lucic knows his way around Scarpia and
outside of Terfel the pickings are slim.

The production was modified Zefferelli with someone else's name on it...the
net effect would have been the same had they brought the old one back.