Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jan 2018 18:46:26 -0500

Well I was there at the HD and even though I expect my normal share of
brickbats, all I can tell you is I was enthralled, shocked, and thrilled at one
of the best acted Toscas I've seen in a long time.  The two of them
(Grigolo/Yoncheva) brought out the fireworks and anything that sounded
less than perfect on the air would have had to have been seen in order for
you to get the entire cake instead of simply a bite from around the bottom
part.

Say what you will but I delighted in the idea of the director making this
couple a younger one like R & J for a change and for me it worked
wonders and brought a new excitement and light to the same old/same old.
They're chemistry was on fire and I am happy for them that they both took
the chance on roles perhaps too early for them, because it worked.
Grigolo knows how to excite a house. He's like a magician pulling 3 rabbits
out of the hat at one time.  If he wasn't perfect (rushing "lo lai fugita e
moio disperato")-- spelling all wrong but you know the section -- that
worked okay for me too.

It's been a long time since tears erupted from my eyes as he fell to his
death after being shot.  The kid's a stage animal.

Lucic was a fabulous Scarpia and even he himself said that it was his
favorite Scarpia he ever did.  No wonder!

Fulfilling afternoon. (sorry if others didn't get the joy that I did out of it)