Subject: Tosca - Met - 27 Jan 2018 - as heard on WQXR
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jan 2018 22:26:57 +0000

Hello everybody

I heard about two thirds of the performance.

Briefish comments -

Lucic is about as good as 2018 can offer in the Italian
baritone rep, but it is not good enough to pass muster
in a World that heard even non-household names like
Zancanaro a generation ago. To this we've come!

Grigolo was very variable. The worst - "Vittoria, vittoria"
was wobbly enough to make you seasick but the
diminuendi were, if not Corelli or Di Stefano, still very
beautiful. He gets an A for phrasing and dynamics, but
the voice is much less under control than it was just a
couple of years ago. I'm afraid he has been a promising
"work in progress" that has very quickly become a "work
in decline". I hope I'm wrong because there is much to
embrace.

Yoncheva was terrific, I thought. I heard no problems
anywhere, and I heard some vocal moments that reminded
me of Callas, attractive covered tone at a number of critical
moments. It could have been more expansive, but it was
more than just OK, much more.

The conducting was just fine!

I had a good time, with a lot of caveats.

Bob