Subject: Re: The most influential opera to impact our own time is:
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:58:55 +0000

One more piece of trivia that could be mentioned to support the
importance of Der Freischutz in American music was the fact that Jenny
Lind's breakthrough performance (and debut at the Royal Swedish Opera)
was as Agathe--Lind's concert tour under P. T. Barnum was instrumental
in popularizing both opera and concerts in nineteenth-century America.

However the whole discussion seems little more than a parlor game--there
are any number of operas without which the current soundscape would be
far different. Without Freischutz there may have been no Wagner (or a
very different Wagner), but without Fidelio there was no Freischutz,
without Zauberflote there was no Fidelio, and on and on. The Black Crook
is also a fun answer to a trivia question, but similar works were staged
around the same time, and I doubt that had the Black Crook not been
produced it would have really changed anything appreciably.

I do not doubt however that Freischutz remains the answer to the
question "what is the most influential rarely performed
nineteenth-century German opera?"