Subject: Re: Stemme LIVE!
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Jan 2018 15:50:49 +0000

Hi Max

You have highlighted three of my favorite singers. One caveat about
each, if I may -

By the tiime of Sills Violetta at rhe Met in 76 thre was a wobble so
pronounced that it simply could not pass for vibrato. It was awful
and I closed the book on her at that point. No shame, she was a
magnificent singer for well over a dozen years and provided some
of my fondest memories.

I don't hear Lorengar's recordings as you do. I hear a brilliant tone,
especially at the top, and a number of her recordings, particularly
her recitals are benchmarks for the lyric-spinto rep. What some
hear as instead, (one friend compared her to a washing machine)
I hear as fluidity, not unlike Leontyne Price much of the time. The
spin at the top was remarkable.

Rysanek's unsteadiness could be unbearable and her intonation even
worse, especially as heard in the Italian rep as early as 1961, but she
was a thrill beyond my ability to describe, both at the top of the range
and as a creature of the stage. I miss her most of all!

To their memories!

Bob