Subject: Re: Stemme LIVE!
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Jan 2018 08:49:12 -0500

First and foremost in our time, Beverly Sills.  Many outside of the U.S. found her competent but could not understand the adulation she received.  James McCracken was another.  It was not a "beautiful" voice but one built from sheer willpower.  McCracken's first solo album for London tanked so badly, the label cancelled the remainder of his recording contract.  What both had -- Sills in particular -- was the ability to dominate the stage.  Another, not so well known, who had the ability to dominate the stage was Phyllis Curtin.  I only saw her once, long after she had retired and was teaching at B.U., in a student or semi-student production of "A Little Night Music".  Once she came on the stage, you could not take your eyes off of her.  And then there is Magda Olivero.  I like her voice on recordings, but some do not.  On stage, she was something else.  I remember the first time that I saw her.  It was as Tosca. Here was the shock of seeing this clearly older or elderly woman coming out on stage to greet Mario.  But within five minutes, she WAS Tosca.

Best from Boston.

Ray Gouin

***