Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato -- "Purity of Heart"
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Jan 2018 00:20:55 -0500

Robert Levine wrote:

>"Go, Ray! Go Hermine! Go Neil! And shut the f*ck up, GCR. Everyone knows that Albert could be difficult; this forum is about opera. And Albert had a superb ear and two lifetimes filled with knowledge"

>"Albert had a superb ear"

No, I do not believe Albert possessed an unusually refined aesthetic
sensibility in relation to opera.... And I also think that any attempt
at pronouncements such as this is just silly in the first place.

>"I am very aware of all the elements in opera but I love voices, and I
believe the human voice is the most perfect instrument, the most completely
expressive sign of humanity.... In my opinion the singer is the soul of
opera"

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/24/arts/a-playwright-s-operatic-love-affair.html?pagewanted=1

I cannot see how ANY musically astute listener of opera (one who marshals
the time and cognitive energy required to assimilate the sonic events and
the parts-whole relation of an opera and organizes them into a coherent
sound structure) would ever make those remarks.