Subject: Re: The most influential opera to impact our own time is:
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jan 2018 20:46:49 -0500

I'm mystified by the way you believe DER FREISCHUTZ has
influence of any sort on the present, and I don't think that its
unpopularity in the USA is "inexplicable", but I enthusiastically
support your mentioning the very existence of what I consider
to be one of the most enthralling musical stage works ever
written.  It is also one of the very few that, however much it
depends on the passages of spoken dialogue, still remains,
like FIDELIO, and DIE ZAUBERFLOTE, a true and lovable
opera.  My favorite is still the Grummer, Schock, Prey, Frick
recording from 1958, although, surprisingly, there is a large
number of worthy contenders.  Lots  of people have always liked
it, and its influence on other 19th century composers can not be
overlooked.

dtmk