Subject: Re: The most influential opera to impact our own time is:
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:52:02 -0500

I might choose Mahagonny instead, what with criminals running the society, the themes
of lawlessness, greed, corruption, dystopia, etc.

But Weill also includes a deft little quote from Freischutz in the score...;-)

Unfortunately, there is yet to be a satisfactory commercial studio recording of the opera,
though I do favor the Met production  as preserved on video. (The 1950's recording,
despite Lenya's involvement, is just too changed from Weill's score - and the more recent
one with Silja, despite some good singing, is absolutely ruined by bad and leaden
conducting.) Maybe it's time...??