Subject: Re: Vinay
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:09:49 +0100

>(As an example of how hard it was to get James to say anything profound about his career, the only thing he ever told me >about that iconic Met 'Frau' was how irritated he was at Bing for refusing to pay him more than $500 a performance.)

Donald Arthur, who collaborated with Varnay and King on their books (as well as the english edition of Hotter's) told me the difference between Varnay and King. He asked Varnay what Frau ohne Schatten is really about, and she talked to him about it for an hour. He asked King the same question, and he looked into a book of opera plots and said "Gee, that sure is complicated!" Donald was not above exaggerating but I'm sure there was some truth in it.

BTW, an interesting thing about the Hotter book. The  american publisher who accepted the Varnay book said they weren't interested in the Hotter book because it didn't go deeply enough into interpretation, as her book had. Donald told Hotter, thinking he'd be disappointed, but Hotter was delighted, he had wanted to go much more deeply into things in his book, and the german publisher hadn't wanted it. He was thrilled to be able to do it for the english edition.

David