Subject: Re: Terrific Trovatore Prima at the Met
From: Joseph Manley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jan 2018 02:22:06 -0500

Thanks for your discussion of Tucci, and I must concur that all those Aidas were not the best
for her longevity.
What is revealing to me is her pre-Met live performances, particularly in Italy, when she sang
arias from the bel canto coloratura soprano repertoire.  IMO, she sounded absolutely the best
there.  She had a rich tone for that lighter repertoire, had all the facility and musicality of
Scotto but with far richer tone.  Aesthetically, I would have liked for her to have stayed in that
rep.
The rich tone and musical competence obviously made her attractive in the bigger lyric roles,
which in the starring prominence they offered must have been seductive for her.
Verdi did write Aida for a lyric soprano, but it is demanding, and in a big house there can be
the temptation to produce a big sound.
Perhaps contributing to Tucci's problem is that at her peak she sang several times a week in
roles like Aida.  She did get in a habit of pushing.
In the end she did fit the ironic trajectory some wag came up with: bel canto, can belto, can't
canto.
That said, she had a very big and deserved career, a lot of voice and a lot of technique - just
perhaps some unfortunate choices in the latter stages.