Subject: Terrific Trovatore Prima at the Met
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:01:58 -0500

Although my transmission kept going in and out during the first half (mostly the first
quarter) the prima of Trovatore was pretty smoking hot tonight!  Yonghoon Lee made an
exciting Manrico, with some beautiful shading and plenty of pop and ping in his sound, for
"Di Quella Pira" but earlier on, gave a ravishing account of "Ah si, ben mio" (or as we used
to say "I see Ben Mee-Oh")  with a decent trill the first time while the second one was more
hinted at.  Still . . . lovely.

Jennifer Rowley was frequently lovely sounding - a few squally moments up at the top, but
only in quicker passages.  Her big arias and scenes came across strongly, and her
involvement in the final scene reminded me of how much I enjoyed her in last season's
"Cyrano" for that same reason.

Quinn Kelsey was superb as Di Luna, "Il Balen" - or the 2/3rds of it I heard - was gorgeous.

For me, the most exciting singing came from Anita Rachvelishvili as Azucena - even though
I missed half of "Stride la vampa."  She poured out a delicious lunacy all night that was
pitiable, terrifying and gloriously vocalized.

Marco Armiliato led the Met forces in a propulsive, "take no prisoners" account that kept
both the action and my blood pumping a mile a minute, slowing it down for those moments
of beauty, but then hopping back on the horse intensifying everything in an old-fashioned
"rip roarin'" fashion that had me cheering at the end.  I know . . . how gauche - what with
me in pajamas and eating spaghetti and butter and all.  So sue me.

Really, this was a terrific "night at the opera."

p.