Subject: Re: Vinay
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Jan 2018 09:35:41 -0500

LOHENGRIN "conventional"?  Imagine how Wagner would have responded to that!
Aside from the evil and menace that engage you, I have always been struck by
the innovative aspects of  Wagner's first totally "Wagnerian" opera;  the
ethereal
Prelude, the arrival of a mystical hero from another world, the tremendous
Act One
finale involving everyone on stage,  the seductive scene between Ortrud and
Elsa,
the breathtaking Act 2 bridal procession, and a "love duet" in Act 3 that
rivals those
in TRISTAN & ISOLDE and PARSIFAL.   In a way, the RING even seems a sort of
interruption before Wagner continues what he had started with LOHENGRIN.

dtmk