Subject: Re: Vinay
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 Jan 2018 21:47:58 -0500

Vinay sang Dr. Schoen with Opera Company of Boston in January of 1964.

Joan Carroll was Lulu and Thebom was Geschwitz.  It was the Eastern U. S.

premiere after Santa Fe.  He also returned to the company in  February of 1967

as Iago with Heater, Tebaldi and Theyard. His return-to-baritone days went on

for quite a while and I was happy to see him after not being able to in his tenor

period.  He is listed in the program as co-director with Caldwell.  His Dr. Schoen

was particularly impressive.  After the performance outside the theater I heard

Sills say that Lulu would not appeal to audiences in contrast to Wozzeck.

BTW while attending an Ernani dress several years ago at the Met I was talking

with my companion about Boston and a woman who overheard us said that her

husband had sung there and his name was William Dembaugh.  I recognized the

name and told her that I had seen him at that '67 Otello as Roderigo.  He thanked

me profusely for remembering him and said that I made his day.  There's nothing

that makes singers happier than when someone remembers their performances.

Angelo from Boston