Subject: Re: Franco Corelli & Stefan Zucker
From: Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:41:13 +0100

When Zucker's first 'Corelli' (sick) book came out. Our reviewer on
operanostalgia started his piece with"

"Author, publisher and editor -all rolled in one-  announces this book as
part of three volumes which discuss the evolution of 200 years of tenor
singing. Now don’t expect a spun out story full of an internal logic which
leads from the times of Nourrit to the emergence of Calleja, Florez or
Kaufmann. In reality Mr. Zucker tries by hook and by crook to sell the
pirated CD’s and DVD’s he produces. Hence, the 34 pages entirely devoted to
his commercial catalogue (pages 322 -356). By crook too is the advertisement
on the sleeve that announces “Robert Tuggle, Director of The Metropolitan
Opera Archives, contributes a chapter on Björling to the appendices”. This
“chapter” consists of a grand total of 49 lines concentrating on the tenor’s
fees at the Met and in which Tuggle proves that Bjorling was the supreme
tenor of his time, in America at least, proven by his fees compared to other
tenors and singers at the Met.
I am fairly confident Mr. Tuggle will not be too happy with Mr. Zucker
trying to sell his book by implying that a serious researcher contributed “a
chapter” on Björling. Another feature (surely well-known to members of
Opera-L) is Mr. Zucker’s penchant for titillating sex stories. Up to now few
or any opera lovers at all had Mr. Zucker’s eagle eyes which lead him to
write in a caption for a well-known innocent photograph of Del Monaco and
Caniglia after a performance of Chénier: “Did he really sing with his
genitals in that position ?” The second volume in this series surely
promises to be most interesting as Mr. Zuckers promotes this
book-to-be-published with a so-called Franco Corelli quote: “People assume
that in old age I am hearing Verdi and Puccini in my mind’s ear. No! The
music I am hearing and that keeps me going is the sound of Teresa Zylis-Gara
having orgasms. “

which led to a mail to me by the late Albert innaurato saying the reviewer
was far too kind......

For those who want to read the whole review, a review of volume two will
follow soon :

http://www.operanostalgia.be/html/CORELLI-Zucker.html

RvdB

Stephen Charitan wrote:

"The whole thing ["Opera Fanatic"] was a colossal missed opportunity.  All
of those
wonderful
post - verismo divas who also experienced the Bel Canto revival - and the
only subject on Zucker's agenda is "voce di petto."   After hearing him
prissily extrude the words a few times even the humor of Zucker's personal
absurdity drains away and the net result is frustration.  These gracious,
humorous, articulate ladies had so much to say - unfortunately they trusted
all of these qualities to an utter Buffoon."

That was my reaction, too, when I first saw "Opera Fanatic."  (That, and
Zucker's apparent
obsession with "What was the highest note you ever sang?" which struck me as
an inane
question to focus on.)  But I subsequently learned that Zucker did not edit
that
documentary and may not even have given final approval to it, and that his
interviews -
which were wide-ranging and as in-depth as the circumstances would allow -
covered a lot
more than voce di petto and high notes.  A lot of really interesting stuff
wound up on the
cutting room floor, as one can see from the Opera Fanatic website:

https://www.belcantosociety.org/category/interview/

What I suspect happened is that some clueless editor decided, post hoc, that
the "voce di
petto" and "highest note" questions made for a nice thematic device and so
focused on
them to the exclusion of other exchanges.  That was not Stefan's fault and
it undoubtably
gives a false impression of what those interviews actually covered.

That Stefan Zucker is a very knowledgeable and competent interviewer of
singers is evident
from even a cursory listening to recordings of his radio programs.  I doubt
that "Opera
Fanatic" is fair to Stefan's abilities, nor should he be judged based on
that documentary.

I should add that Zucker himself, in his comments about "Opera Fanatic," has
always been
very circumspect about criticizing the documentary, but my strong impression
from other
sources is that he was not happy with it.

MDW