Subject: Re: Semiramide at the Met
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 Jan 2018 19:16:13 -0500

How much is too much of a good thing?  I've *come* to love Wagner - I've
*always* loved Semiramide chasing it both here and in Europe.  This opera
caught me early on in a way Boheme and Butterfly never could.  Sutherland
and Horne exposed its beauty, Cecilia Gasdia conducted by Roger Norrington
grabbed its drama by the throat, and Samuel Ramey and Rockwell Blake proved
a basso and tenor could match the ladies in "knock your socks off"
virtuosity and expressivity."

Great news that the MET's First Act is clocking in at about 2 hours.  That
seems to indicate Idreno will have both his arias including "Ah dov'e il
cimento" in Act 1.  It also makes me guardedly optimistic for the integrity
of da capo's - absolutely essential to the "architecture."

Some might call it long but every performance I've been lucky enough to
attend seemed to fly by in a flash...