Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:45:15 -0600

I would like to weigh in on this, even though I was never a Domingo fanatic (didn't much care much for Pavarotti either ---- I always preferred tenors like Vickers, Corelli, Krause, Shicoff, and earlier, Bjoerling, Valletti and Tucker.  I found Pavarotti to have an amazing voice, but loaded with publicity baggage, excessively pedestrian on the opera stage, and very limited as far as repertoire was concerned.  There were times when I admit that I loved listening to him, but the overall impression was indifference.  And of course he obviously allowed his extreme weight to effect his health.

    Placido Domingo in the 70s certainly had a good top C (as Birgit Nilsson verifies in her book ----- they did Tosca and Turandot together enough times for her to know.  By the middle 1980's, his top became less easy but remained credible.  As the years went by, his ultimate note was a B flat.  I don't recall any critic saying that he had a "painful" top.

    People can complain about Domingo's longevity on the opera stage (it's hard to believe that at age 19 he sang Edgardo opposite the Lucia of Lili Pons!), but there are some undeniable facts which no one can dispute.

    A.  Domingo has undertaken more operatic roles (in Spanish, Italian, German, French, Russian and English) than any singer in history.

    B.  By some miracle, his voice has remained a valid one and he can still deliver a performance (his new DVD of Macbeth has received wonderful reviews.).

    C.  The man had/has a tremendous capacity for work.

    D.  Critics have been far kinder to him than most of us on this Board

    E.  Domingo still sells tickets, and people still are willing to pay money to see/hear him.

    F.   He truly loves his work.

    I think people should lay off of him.  Those who don't cotton to him needn't bother to hear him.  It's OK.  I'm sure he's not offended.  I'm reminded of a famous Callas quote: "Those who don't like my voice shouldn't come to hear and see me because if I don't like something, I just don't bother about it".

   Derision, jokes, and sheer nastiness is useless and counterproductive.