Subject: Re: LAO 2018-19
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:11:09 -0500

The idea of Domingo as Rodrigo literally makes me cringe.  We don’t
expect opera singers to fully look and move like the characters they
portray, and Posa is, essentially (even if an entirely fictional character) in
his late teens or early 20s.  I don’t need a 30 year old to play him, but at
76 – no matter how nice (if inappropriate) and well-preserved his voice
may . . . well, it smacks of being just about the vainest exercise for a
singer, and the sheer indulgence of those going along with it seems
specious.

The thing I find most exciting is the company premiere of Satyagraha, a
work near and dear to my heart.  Equally exciting is it’s apparently the
same production shared by the Met and ENO and it is one of the most
impressive things I’ve ever seen on any stage.  ENO is presenting it again
on February 1st for a month long run, while an entirely different production
is opening in May in Stockholm.

At the Met, the production sold well both in its initial run and subsequent
(and only) revival.  Similarly, it was voted “best broadcast of the season”
on Met Radio on Sirius, and generated a lot of excitement, though on the
list a majority of the reviews were of the “THE WORST SOUNDING PIECE
OF TRASH  I HAVE EVER HEARD,” (screamed in caps)” or “A monumental
waste of money when one thinks of all the more interesting masterworks
the MET has yet to perform.”

Only moments after posting my very enthusiastic review of the prima one
of our listers opined:

"Don't let those of us of lesser spiritual attainment spoil the pure bliss of
your time with this work you find so enriching to your soul, your oh so
deep soul. Maybe take your pet cow for a walk."

Clearly someone bothered by the fact I (and others) were moved.  I also
remember reading how the Met was “forcing down our throats” works that
don’t appeal to real, or “traditional” operagoers and it wasn’t “fair,” or “The
Met has let us down badly with this (so-called) 'opera' . . .”

Satyagraha at the Met brought out (as was probably expected) some nasty
stuff!  It will be interesting to read what happens in Los Angeles, both on
this list and elsewhere online.

p.