Subject: Re: Kauffmann’s Schubert
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Jan 2018 07:42:04 +0000

Ariane: The only thing odd was the high quality of the reviewer’s work.  It
was good to find a review that was thought provoking and avoided all the
overused platitudes. It deserved close reading.

It was a favorable review with one major criticism:

“Yet for all his magnificence Monday, Kaufmann missed the one final element
he needed to make his “Schöne Müllerin” a new way of hearing Schubert. He
was an opera singer playing the role of a recitalist not a recitalist
playing the role of Schubert’s song cycle.”

The comment about attire simply supported that criticism, citing an element
that Kaufman failed to transcend.

Other singers have tried to “find a new way of hearing Schubert”, using
artifice instead of art. Ian Bostridge (in Florence) performed this song
cycle while wandering, like a giant, a stage set with  a village-scape of
miniature buildings. His presence, it was intended, represented the
present; the tiny village, the past. Instead, it seemed like he trespassed
into a department store window display at Christmas time.

On the other hand, Herman Prey (in Boston) sang the cycle in traditional
evening recital dress, and created a vivid characterization with little
body language, just the considerable expressive power of art and voice. He
was recalled to the stage several times, but offered nothing else. Why? He
had nothing left.

So Sved’s criticism was also telling and gentle: at this stage of his
career, Kauffman lacks the art to tell this Schubert story convincingly.

But it does not exclude the possibility that at an advanced age he may.

Regards
PR