Subject: Re: Rubinstein/Salk (formerly Speculation about Marjorie Lawrence)
From: daaaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Jan 2018 01:47:39 -0500

I heard Artur Rubinstein in Dallas in the early 70s. He played the Chopin Ab polonaise with such wonderful aplomb, visually and aurally. In the octave sections and when they became fortissimo, they stopped being octaves and all 5 fingers of his left hand were hitting the keys, a bombastic effect and justified. It was thrilling.
When I was a piano major at Peabody, my teacher, Fernando Laires, told me he saw Rubinstein come out for an encore, playing the first movement of the Moonlight sonata. Then he followed with the 2nd and 3rd movements.
At the end of his career, he suffered greatly from shingles. But when he played the piano, his discomfort ceased.
In that wonderful documentary, "The Love of Life”, he often speaks of how singing influenced him. He claimed he could play Salome from memory and once accompanied Emmy Destinn at a party in the final scene. He wrote about the snake tattoo she had, covering entirely one of her legs. In the movie, there's a rehearsal of the 1st movement of the Beethoven 3rd concerto. I had never heard it before. I still remember, hearing for the first time, the heavenly final two pages of that movement, those glittering and cascading diminished chord downward arpeggios...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tncAsuemCRc&list=PLTWtH0JrzYeTZSVDuRa6QtzHB7MYjp9O9

Donald