Subject: Re: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: Nina Gettler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Jan 2018 00:18:59 +0100

This has never occurred to me before, but you are completely right.
"Boheme" or "Rigoletto" will survive a crazy production, but not
"Onegin." This is completely borne out by the recent production of
"Onegin" here in Graz. It was very well sung, I could have lived with
the practically set-less production in gray and white, BUT

In the first act, Olga engages in some enthusiastic cuddling with the
help (to show her flirtatious nature, I assume)
The "Personenregie" had Onegin talking to Tatiana, when he should have
been talking to Lenski or just musing to himself, which made absolutely
no sense.
Monsieur Triquet was dressed up as a Harlequin figure.
Onegin does not kill Lenski. Lenski shoots himself.
When the curtain opens on the last act, Onegin and Tatiana are asleep,
having spent the night together.

For me, this was the most painful production I have ever seen.

I'm going to Vienna to see "Onegin" next month to get the bad taste out
of my mouth. It's a plain, pretty traditional. innocuous production,
but, except for Kwiecien, the cast is new for me in these roles.
Olga Bezsmertna, Mariusz Kwiecien, Rolando Villazón (very curious to
hear how he sounds), Ferruccio Furlanetto (I know that he's not what he
used to be ...)

Nina Gettler
Graz, Austria