Subject: Poleri (formerly:: Speculation about Marjorie Lawrence)
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Jan 2018 18:13:25 -0500

I agree with you about Poleri's voice but -- from what I was told -- he was also self-destructive.

I was a friend of Dorothy Schultes who, as Dorothy McNeil, sang opposite him at NYCO.  When I first heard Poleri's voice I asked her about him.  She remembered him with distaste or contempt.    She said that Poleri was the type who could -- and did -- go out in the afternoon and play 18 holes of golf in the rain and not understand when, that night, he had no voice left to sing with.  She said that he was also undisciplined on stage and not well liked. One of the examples of that was when she and Poleri were singing together in Gianni Schicchi. As Dorothy started singing "O mio babbino caro", Poleri threw himself down on his knees beside her, wrapped his arms around her legs/knees, and then squeezed her as hard as he could for the remainder of the aria.

Best.
Ray

***