Subject: Re: David Poleri (was Speculation about Marjorie Lawrence)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:36:19 -0500

I first heard of David Poleri when listening to the original cast recording of
Menotti’s “The Saint of Bleecker Street.”  I loved the sound of his voice
immediately, but was wholly unprepared for his 2nd act aria “I know that
you all hate me.”  My hair, literally, stood up on the back of my neck.
There was power and sweetness in Poleri’s voice which makes the outburst
at the end of the aria all the more chilling.

I searched for more of his singing and A recording recommendation was
happily discovered a Beethoven 9th with Boston under Munch, which
included three other (then) young American singers;  Leontyne Price,
Maureen Forrester and Giorgio Tozzi.  Mr. Rideout mentioned the
excellent “Damnation du Faust” (paired with that amazing “La Damoiselle
Elue” of Debussy, with Madame de los Angeles) which sadly, seems to be
presently out of print, but fortunately, has been uploaded to youtube in its
entirety and may be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHHHShtdky0

A few other odds and ends, but mostly pirates, including a rare
(particularly back then) performance of Tchaikovsky’s (there he is
again!) “Mazeppa” with Bastianini, Christoff and the Maria of Magda Olivero.

I've remained a fan ever since, saddened both by the fact I never got to
see him live, and for what sounds to have been a sad, unhappy life.

Here is Mr. Poleri in the first thing that made me love hims, and what I
consider the best aria in Menotti’s greatest opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lIGPrU490

p.