Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: Hermine Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Jan 2018 11:45:15 -0800

Well, SHOULD does not equal CAN or OUGHT TO. I can think of several
singers who should have retired but did not like Bob Dylan
f'rinstance whom I also despised when he was young but that is a
matter of personal taste. whereas the loss of the upper part of the
natural range with age does not equate to a natural LOWER RANGE.

this is opinion, as I know nothing.

hermine

>It seems to me the Reizen, Olivero, Freni, Devia, Sutherland and
>Gruberova, all who sang well into their late sixties or early
>seventies were singing roles in their natural vocal range. Domingo
>is a past prime tenor trying to sing major baritone roles, which
>IMO, disrespects the composer. I was wrong to say he or any opera
>singer should be forced to retire at 70, but I do think that in most
>cases, they SHOULD.

---